“Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.” Philippians 4:6-7
Every believer wants to have an effective prayer life, but very few understand how. The heart of God is for each of us to have a fruitful prayer life. Throughout our morning we took a look at Philippians 4:4-8 as a model for prayer over anxiety. A little anxiety in our lives can feel normal, but in Jesus we have access to total freedom from anxiety.
- T: THANKSGIVING // Start with thanksgiving. Philippians 4:4 tells us to, “Rejoice in the Lord always.”When we rejoice, we enthusiastically celebrate and give praise. When we first give God thanks for all He has done in our lives, we put Him in His rightful place. Our praise is meant to precede prayer because praise gives us the perspective to pray.
- H: HUMILITY // With humility, we give our requests to God. James 4:6, “God resists the proud and gives grace to the humble.” When we pray, we want to come with a humble spirit, rather than entitlement, acknowledging that God is in control and will work all things together for our good. If we go in with pride, anger, arrogance, etc. we miss the heart of God, and ultimately miss the power of humble praye
- A: ALWAYS ATTACK ANXIETY // The reality of life is that anxiety is waiting for us at every turn. Everyone has different things in their lives that cause anxiety, but one common weapon that we all have is prayer. Philippians 4:6-7 tells us to not be anxious about anything. God invites us to give our anxieties to Him, and He promises that He will give us peace. Anxiety is not meant to be something that we get used to dealing with, we have access to freedom from anxiety. When we give our anxieties to God, we put them in a trustworthy place.
- T: TRUTH // Philippians 4:8 says, “whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things.” We need to let the truth of God continually renew our minds. When we intentionally spend time in the Word of God and allow Him to shift our perspective, everything changes. We go from anticipating the worst to believing for God to meet us in our everyday.
WE AREN’T MADE FOR SOME FREEDOM, WE’RE MADE FOR TOTAL FREEDOM.
We were made to live in freedom, and prayer is the key to unlocking freedom in our lives. When we give our anxieties to Jesus, we exchange our fear for faith, hope and love. Jesus is inviting us to pray. In that place, He wants to meet with us and give us breakthrough.
IN RESPONSE /
- Use the Philippians 4 prayer model we talked through today. Whether you take five minutes or an hour of your day, we encourage you to pause and walk through each step of this prayer model.
- Our Corporate Prayer Ministry has various events that you can jump in with throughout the week –
- 24/7 Prayer Center // This hour of worship and intercession is every weekday from noon – 1 p.m. in the Kids Auditorium.
- Mid-Week // Join us on Wednesday at 6 p.m. in the Youth Auditorium for an extended time of spirit-led worship, prayer and ministry.